Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sunshine and Summertime (by Faith Hill)

Beware: Long post

I started this post thinking I would just do highlights of the summer, then I started getting carried away. So here's our entire summer so far...

Olivia is 18 months as of last week so... dun dun dun... nursery! This last Sunday was her first time and she did great! We are so proud of her.

Murals are constantly being added to our bedroom wall such as this one:

"Too cool, Mom"


My mom's family's cabin in Sundance

Most of the weekend was spent "opening" or "de-winterizing" the cabin

Lovely Aunt Katie and our sweet new-ish tire swing



Too much pizza!



Standoff

Her helmet lights up when it is bumped or hit... interesting concept. If she falls in the dark, we'll know.

Next spring we hope to get chickens so on a whim David made this amazing coop out of old fencing.

Big helper


Finished product, minus the roof:


Notice the pig-tails. Only recently have we been able to do that. So cute!

Nothing like ice-cream cones on a hot summer day

Talking to someone, don't know who!

Almost nothing could make Olivia happier than riding the big wheel with Dad

Yep, she's stacking cans, what a smart girl!

Not sure she fits that stroller


We helped her pose for this picture but it was only to recreate the time that I was saying my prayers and she kneeled next to me and folded her arms. So cute!

Nowadays when we tell her to smile, this is what we get. Classic!

Early training

This picture marks the beginning of our trip to backpack along the Paria river. Olivia and I went with my family. David couldn't go because of work :( but it was a great time!

The whole gang at the trailhead. Left to right: David, Drew, and Daniel Steiner, Austin, Me & Olivia, Elle, Annie, Katie, my Dad, Stefanie and Scott Steiner. My mom, Annie, and Olivia stayed in a hotel and met us at the bottom. No way I was taking Olivia although she would have loved the water and QUICKSAND!

I have done this hike 2 other times but this time was much different because we took another route. We hiked the longest slot canyon in the world (called Buckskin Gulch) in one day. That's 16 miles! We were so exhausted but I love the satisfaction of doing hard things.

This place was amazing. You look up expecting to see the top of the canyon but you have to really strain your neck to see any sky. It is a deep canyon!

Some obstacles we had to go through...

Elle, me, Katie

More obstacles...

Me & Katie





A real rattlesnake

Katie & myself

After getting back to the hotel in Kanab, we showered and headed to a cool restaurant. Our little jailbird, stole a bottle from a baby.




Her highness

Olivia spotted this hat at the gift shop and knew exactly what to do:

On our way home we stopped at this old Mormon settlement in Arizona. It was fun to see what a different lifestyle it was back then. I was thinking, "I could get used to this" but then again I really like AC and other conveniences.

On our long drive Olivia started getting carsick so while I cleaned up throwup in the back seat, she chilled in the front seat with the big kids.

Home again. She was more interested in drinking the water than sliding.


Helping Dad build stuff

We gave her this popcicle and she couldn't figure out how to hold it and eat it and get anything by sucking on the stick.

Then she got it!

We have some really pretty rose bushes and they smell so good

Ogden Raptors game with the cousins

Simple pleasure #53: Playing in the gutter

Hiking Waterfall canyon with friends

I included this picture to remind me to talk about an obsession this girl has with buckles. Olivia is such a problem solver and she has figured out how to buckle things together. This obsession is so bad that the entire way up she cried because she wanted to play with the buckles on the hiking backpack she was in. When we got to the top there were so many cool things to look at like the waterfall, dogs, other kids, but all this kid cared about was buckling the darn thing. It's also frustrating when I go to put her in the carseat and sometime between then and the last time I got her out of the car, she has managed to buckle the straps together. This girl is relentless. I'm glad she has found something that she is proud she can do, though.

"Get away from my buckles!"




More buckles

Last weekend we went camping in Soldier Hollow for an extended Workman family reunion. I had allergies so BAD!

Olivia's first ride in Grandma & Grandpa's Toyota Land Cruiser

Agh, cleavage! How did this get in here?

Cascade springs

The other day we had a BBQ with our friends, the Ericksons. We took about 5 pictures and this was the best. They're identical twins so my best guess is Austin on the left, then Riley, then Olivia, the escapee.

1 comment:

  1. SHE IS SOOOO CUTE! please please please let her marry gage!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete